Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Week 13: Reconsidering the Superhero

I have not read much of super hero comics even though they are a large genre of the world of comics, so large that people's first idea of comics will most likely be connected to super heroes.  Though I do not read much of the comics specifically, I do engage other media involving super heroes such as TV, films and video games.

For this week, I had read some issues from Black Panther: World of Wakanda.  I was intrigued by the fact that the story was female oriented and also focused on a lesbian relationship. The superhero media of today has acknowledged its lack of minority representation and has remedied this by having minorities play larger roles.   As a result, there has been a rise in strong female characters in this age of media while reconsidering the superhero.  In specifically Black Panther: World of Wakanda, characters that drive the majority of story are female.

Though I appreciated these topics being talked about and minorities being represented, I felt that the writing in the World of Wakanda felt forced and did not flow as well as it could have. This is similar to my feelings of the film Captian Marvel. What both of these shared is having strong capable women as leads but these characters were strong only because the plot requires it, and as a result, the strength they have does not feel earned or convincing. With World of Wakanda, I do not have trouble believing these are strong women, but the element that feels forced is the romantic relationship Aneka and Ayo have. It feels as if they are together only for the need of representation and no effort was given to build the relationship. Sometimes I feel as if mainstream media portrays these minorities for the purpose of gaining monetary profit rather than actual caring about the true stories minorities have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15: Revision of week 7

For the blog revision, I had decided to speak a little more about one of my favorite readings in the first half of the semester  MAUS .   ...