Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Week 11: Comics as Contemporary Literature

Reading the recommend text Asterios Polyp this week gave me a new perspective of a comic's ability to expand its narrative. David Mazzucchelli crafts this piece with beautiful stylistic voice and a compelling story dealing with perceptions of life. The aspect I admire the most is his attention to different fonts and speech bubbles used for each character. They are each unique yet still fit within atheistic of the comic and shows how far character designs can be shown outside of the character's physical appearance. I feel Mazzucchelli really expands what a storyteller can do through the medium of comics and uses its full potential. Along with having a well composed aestheic, Asterios Polyp has a compelling story that is best told through its visuals. The book focuses on the unique perspectives each person can have while telling the life story of Asterios and Hana. 

While reading this I found myself enjoying it and finding it refreshing from the standard of format of comics i'm used too. I see this as work of art and I love seeing the attention to detail in the stylization, compositions, and writing of the comics. Though the book is mostly about Asterios, I feel Hana really shines throughout the story. I felt her character to be more relatable personally, not only as an artist but also being timid and shy. Her quote "Just because somebody's quiet doesn't mean he doesn't have an opinion!" really struck with me and I think few people realize this point.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15: Revision of week 7

For the blog revision, I had decided to speak a little more about one of my favorite readings in the first half of the semester  MAUS .   ...